Cedar Rapids porch light ignites bird's nest, causing fire - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Cedar Rapids porch light ignites bird's nest, causing fire

Posted: Updated:
CEDAR RAPIDS (KWWL) -

A Cedar Rapids man extinguished a fire on the side of his house after a porch light ignited a bird's nest, according to Cedar Rapids Public Safety Communications Coordinator Greg Buelow.

Tuesday the Cedar Rapids Fire Department was called to 157 Broadmore Road NW at 1:34 a.m.

The firefighters arrived after the resident, 40-year-old Chris Mays, was able to put the fire out by using a garden hose.

Firefighters say a bird's nest near a porch light ignited and the fire spread to the house's siding. The fire department checked the house's attic to ensure the fire did not spread to the interior.

Mays says his smoke alarms did not go off because not enough smoke made it inside the house; instead, Mays was alerted to the fire by his dog.

No one was injured.

Powered by Frankly