UPDATE: Dubuque man arrested after refusing to leave roof - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

UPDATE: Dubuque man arrested after refusing to leave roof

Posted: Updated:
Photo courtesy Dubuque resident Doug Harkey Photo courtesy Dubuque resident Doug Harkey

A Dubuque man faces charges after police say he violated a no-contact order twice and escaped to a North End roof to avoid police.

Don Puccio of Dubuque was arrested late Monday afternoon, after a police negotiator convinced him to get off of a roof on Queen Street, where he had barricaded himself for about three hours. Police had closed nearby streets after they became concerned he would harm himself.

Puccio was charged with two counts of interference with official acts and two counts of violating a no-contact order.

He is currently in the Dubuque County Jail.



Dubuque Police have been blocking streets in Dubuque's North End Neighborhood for a man sitting on a roof.

Dubuque police Lt. Scott Baxter said the situation on Queen Street started Monday morning, when a woman called to report a no-contact order violation there.

Baxter said the man fled before their arrival but returned later Monday afternoon around 1:20 p.m., when he fled to the roof, where it was determined he was threatening to harm himself.

As of 4 p.m., a police negotiator was still trying to get the man, whom several people on the scene identify as Don Puccio, of Dubuque, to get off the roof.

"There does not seem to be any immediate danger to the general public as officers have the situation contained and the male subject is not believed to be armed with any firearms or have access to any within the home," Baxter said.

KWWL's Becca Habegger continues to follow this ongoing situation.

Police are blocking Queen Street from East 24th Street to Henry Street. The roof on which the man is sitting is an apartment building in the 2400 block  of Queen Street.

Stay with KWWL for more as the situation unfolds.
Powered by Frankly