The University of Iowa football team and the University of Iowa Children's Hospital have named their Kid Captains for the 2014 season.
The Kid Captain program, which is going into its sixth year, gives 15 current and former patients the opportunity to represent UI Children's Hospital and celebrate their inspirational stories. Kid Captains are selected from 345 nominations from nine states.
“These children are truly representative of the strength and determination present in all of our young patients,” said Raphael Hirsch, MD, physician-in-chief of UI Children's Hospital, in a written statement. “These children and their families model the inspiration we all receive from their courage as they face some very tough battles.”
“I'm sure I'm speaking for everyone in wishing this year's Kid Captains all the best, and offering a hearty ‘Congratulations' to each of the patients and their families. We thank them all for allowing us to share their remarkable stories,” Hirsch says.
The 2014 Kid Captains are:
- Joseph Burken, 8, DeWitt, Iowa
- Liam Feeley, 10, West Des Moines, Iowa
- Treytun Garcia, 12, Ottumwa, Iowa
- Caitlyn Hill, 11, Iowa City, Iowa
- Faith LeMaster, 10, Ankeny, Iowa
- Matthew McCarthy, 9, Marion, Iowa
- Marijka Michmershuizen, 11, Pella, Iowa
- Rylan Mohr, 8, Hudson, Iowa
- Noah Mulder, 14, Isaiah Mulder, 11, and Elijah Mulder, 8, Sioux Falls, South Dakota
- Margaret Schafer, 13, Cedar Falls, Iowa
- Maree Scholl, 11, Mason City, Iowa
- Aidan Smith, 8, Council Bluffs, Iowa
- Charlotte Wagaman, 2, Keokuk, Iowa
All Kid Captains and their families are invited to Kids Day at Kinnick Stadium which is on August 16. They will receive a special behind-the-scenes tour.
For more information, visit www.uichildrens.org/kidcaptain.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KWWL. All Rights Reserved.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Sandy Youngblut at 319-291-1259. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at firstname.lastname@example.org.