Glenwood center fined after disabled person swallows batteries - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Glenwood center fined after disabled person swallows batteries

Posted: Updated:

The Glenwood Resource Center will pay a $2,000 state fine after a resident swallowed three batteries.

According to Iowa Department of Human Services spokeswoman Amy Laurentzen McCoy, an incident happened on June 2 at the Glenwood Resource Center, a care facility for people with intellectual disabilities.

A press release states a resident at the facility swallowed three batteries, then received treatment at a nearby medical center before being discharged to the facility a few days later.

McCoy said the facility took immediate action, notified the Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals (DIA) and submitted a self-correction plan.

She said on Thursday the DIA cited the facility for a Class I violation for failing to provide required supervision according to the resident’s individual service plan.

“Client safety is a top priority, and we’ll submit further corrective action addressing this incident as well as measures to prevent future occurrences,” said Gary Anders, superintendent at the Glenwood Resource Center.

McCoy said people who live at the resource center have an intellectual or other developmental disability and are admitted because of significant behavioral and emotional challenges or medical issues requiring intensive treatment.

Powered by Frankly