Family of 3 homeless after fire - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Family of 3 homeless after fire

Posted: Updated:

A family of three is homeless after a fire in Cedar Rapids Friday.

Cedar Rapids firefighters responded to a fire at 551 10th Street SW at 1:52 p.m. Friday. Heavy smoke and flames were coming out of the house by the time firefighters arrived. The fire burned through most of the first floor, and smoke damaged the rest of the home.

No one was home at the time, and no one was injured.

Investigators say the fire started in a box of oily towels. The towels were used to apply linseed oil to kitchen cabinets earlier in the day and spontaneously heated.

Tim and Bridget Vlahos and their 15-year-old son are displaced by the fire.


Powered by Frankly