CC Recycling employee injured in fire in Cedar Rapids
Written by Michelle Corless, Multimedia Journalist - bio | email
A photo just after the fire began at CC Recycling. (Courtesy Allyson Parker)
CC Recycling fire on Thursday. (Courtesy Cedar Rapids Fire Department)
CEDAR RAPIDS (KWWL) -
A person has been taken to the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics with burn injuries following a fire in Cedar Rapids.
The Cedar Rapids Fire Department was called to CC Recycling, formerly K's Acres, at 400 41st. Ave. Drive SW just before 11:30 a.m. Thursday, according to Public Safety Communications Coordinator Greg Buelow.
A male employee in his 40s was draining gas from a scrap vehicle, according to officials. The fuel traveled to a nearby forklift, which sparked, igniting the fire and injuring the employee.
Buelow said "thick, black smoke was visible for miles," according to a press release at 1:24 p.m. Wednesday.
Firefighters found a "pile" of scrap vehicles on fire, as well as gasoline, oil and tires burning.
Firefighters had everything under control and mostly extinguished within an hour. It did not affect any nearby buildings, according to officials.
According to Cedar Rapids Fire Department's Facebook page, emergency crews were continuing to extinguish the last of the fire as of 1 p.m. Thursday. They were also bringing in additional heavy equipment to move debris around and check for hot spots.
41st Avenue Drive SW east of Bowling Street was briefly closed during the fire suppression.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Sandy Youngblut at 319-291-1259. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at email@example.com.