Decorah eagle dies from electrocution - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Decorah eagle dies from electrocution

Posted: Updated:

One of the three Decorah eagles born this year died July 8 after being electrocuted.

Officials say they first saw the eagle, believed to be D18, flying over the bluff near the Decorah compost site. They said they believe the eagle was on his way back to the compost site when he attempted to land on the power pole about half a mile away.

The pole was a high transmission power pole. The eagle suffered burns on its wing and singed feathers on his feet. 

The electricity either entered through its feet and out the wing or vice versa, and his wing was nearly severed.

"We were all impressed by his flying skill," said Bob Anderson, Director of the Raptor Resource Project. "We are all very saddened as his flying prowess led us to believe that we would have a long lived male eagle to compliment the data from our famous D1." 

Decorah eagles D12 and D14 were both electrocuted in 2012.

Many of the power poles around the nest and hatchery were retrofitted, but not all of the poles in Decorah were. Anderson noted this pole was "quite a distance from the nest tree," but did not elaborate on how far.

Powered by Frankly