City of Cedar Rapids to collect flood debris - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

City of Cedar Rapids to collect flood debris

Posted: Updated:

The Cedar Rapids Solid Waste & Recycling Division will collect debris from properties that have registered damages with the City. 

Residents can register their sewer and water damages by calling the Solid Waste & Recycling Division at (319) 286-5897. 

According to a press release, property owners that have already reported water damage are registered and do not need to call again to receive this service.

City officials are urging people to be patient in this clean-up process.

They say collection of this material will take time and residents should not expect their items to be collected on their normal garbage collection day. 

City officials say priority will be given to properties with sewer-damaged debris as this material is contaminated and is a health risk to the community.

Residents with registered sewer or storm water damage should follow the guidelines below for setting items at the curb:

Sewer Damaged Property

-Place all items in one pile at the curb. This material is contaminated and will all be taken to the landfill.

Storm Water Damaged Property

Place items into three piles:

- Garbage – including water damaged furniture, carpet, electronics and scrap metal. Place smaller items into garbage bags.

- Appliances – including refrigerators, microwaves, water heaters, and furnaces.

- Household Hazardous Waste – including chemicals, oil-based paint, solvents, and cleaning products.

Powered by Frankly