More mobile food vendors could come to Iowa City this summer
Written by Justin Andrews, Multimedia Reporter - bio | email
IOWA CITY (KWWL) -
Looking at a 1960’s style mobile food truck, it might be hard not to stop and grab a bite to eat.
The Box Lunch is one of the newest food trucks in Iowa City, and this summer there may be a lot more.
City council members are considering testing a pilot program allowing mobile food vendors, outside what’s already allowed on the pedestrian mall, to set up shop.
“I think it’s a real good idea,” said Iowa City resident Carol Vance. “A lot of people come here and probably don’t eat breakfast at home, they come here and eat. They have different varieties of foods and the cost is not bad for being out in an open place.”
The Box Lunch owner, Elizabeth Wohlford, says she’s only been in service since September 2013, but the idea couldn't come at a better time for her.
“People love it. We go out to manufacturing complexes and different business buildings to serve lunch to them, a lot of time they have 20 minutes to eat, and to they really enjoy seeing us pull up,” said Wohlford.
Wohlford is a member of the recently-formed Mobile Vending Association of Iowa City, that along with the growing interest among some residents, the city could expand their mobile food vending policy.
“The culture, we have to change it in Iowa City, there’s really only 2-3 trucks in the area,” said Wohlford.
The pilot program will allow more local food vendors outside of the already six mobile food vending permits allowed on the ped mall.
It could possibly change the current mobile vending policy, which is quite limited, by adding three new mobile vending sites.
“It’s very exciting and I’m really glad to see Iowa City step up and start working with us and we’re figured out a few lots to start with,” said Wohlford.
The city council will vote June 3rd to decide if the program will be put in place.
If they approve the program, changes could be made as early as late June.
Monday, September 1 2014 5:41 PM EDT2014-09-01 21:41:17 GMT
A publicist for Jennifer Lawrence says the actress has contacted authorities after nude photos of her were apparently stolen and posted online.More >>
The FBI said Monday it was addressing allegations that online accounts of several celebrities, including Oscar-winner Jennifer Lawrence, had been hacked, leading to the posting of their nude photographs online.More >>
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Sandy Youngblut at 319-291-1259. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at firstname.lastname@example.org.