Fire forces Marion family from apartment - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Fire forces Marion family from apartment

Posted: Updated:
MARION (KWWL) - A Marion family has been forced from their apartment after a fire broke out Monday afternoon.

Marion firefighters were called to 1366 7th Street, Unit B, at around 3:04 p.m. Monday after a neighbor noticed smoke coming from a door.


The first crews to arrive found no smoke coming from the door, but were told by a neighbor that she heard a popping noise next door and then saw smoke coming from the door.

Firefighters entered the apartment and found smoke, but no fire. They say the fire had put itself out due to lack of oxygen. They say the apartment received heavy smoke damage and the unit is not inhabitable. The family is receiving help from the American Red Cross.

The fire remains under investigation, but the fire department believes it started in the location of a dehumidifier in the living room.

No one was injured.
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KWWL. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Sandy Youngblut at 319-291-1259. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.