UPDATE: Waterloo restaurant reopens following fire - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

UPDATE: Waterloo restaurant reopens following fire

Posted: Updated:
WATERLOO (KWWL) - The Village Inn restaurant in Waterloo is open for business again following a fire earlier in the week. 

According to the Waterloo Fire Department, an employee found the fire at about 4:30 a.m. Monday morning.

The restaurant, located in the 200 block of W. Ridgeway Avenue, was closed until about 4:15 p.m. Wednesday while crews cleaned and repaired the restaurant.

According to Shawna Rowe, Director of Marketing and Communications for Matco Restaurants Incorporated, the owners of the restaurant, says the fire started when a bin of oily towels spontaneously combusted.

Rowe says the fire was contained to a portion of the kitchen, but the entire restaurant sustained smoke damage.

She says employees came in on their days off, came in early and stayed late to help get the restaurant reopened. Owners say it was quite a display of teamwork.

Powered by Frankly