Police: Mason City couple dead of carbon monoxide poisoning - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Police: Mason City couple dead of carbon monoxide poisoning

Posted: Updated:
MASON CITY (AP) -

Officials say two Mason City residents have died of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Globe Gazette reports (http://bit.ly/1fRQEB6) Monday that 67-year-old Thomas Jimenez and his 80-year-old wife, Carmen Jimenez, were found dead just after 4 p.m. Saturday in their home.

Police had checked on the couple after a relative called out of concern for not hearing from the couple since Thursday.

Police found the doors locked and had to break in.

Once inside, police discovered the couple lifeless.

Police say carbon monoxide levels were strong enough that one officer was taken to a hospital, where he was treated and released.

Fire Chief Bob Platts says the situation remains under investigation.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KWWL. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Sandy Youngblut at 319-291-1259. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.