UPDATE: The extreme cold put thousands of pieces of wrestling history in jeopardy Tuesday, thanks to a frozen pipe at the namesake museum of Iowa's most famous wrestler and coach.
When water exploded through the wall of the Dan Gable Wrestling Hall of Fame, employees rushed to save the historic memorabilia.
"Outside that, you know, we can clean up carpet," said Kyle Klingman, director of the museum. "You can get things fixed, but that was my number one priority."
The pipe froze and burst around 11 a.m Tuesday keeping cleanup crews busy throughout the afternoon. Amazingly, the gallons of water that came through the wall spared all of the irreplaceable memorabilia.
"That's going to let me sleep tonight, knowing that we have a lot of what we preserve ... To have that saved, to know that all of that is going to be safe and that we have all that preserved, is the best feeling in the world," Klingman said.
He also said the wrestling history there has global impact.
"When we go to Russia, Iran, they know about Dan Gable," Klingman said. "They know about the history of wrestling in this area, so to have this place here means everything to our community because it's a real reflection of who we are."
Though the fire department had the water shut off in just a few minutes, there could still be structural damage to the building. They're still not sure yet.
But for now, it's time to dry out the carpet, and look ahead.
"We hope for the best, but we're going to need some help going forward.
Klingman hopes to have the museum open again by next week. He said that's just how they work.
"When you have Dan Gable's name on it, you demand excellence," he said. "So we demand excellence in everything we do."
The repair costs have not been determined yet, but Klingman said they will definitely need help. The museum is accepting donations. They can be contacted at here or 319-233-0745.
ORIGINAL STORY: Cleanup is underway after reports of water coming through the walls at the National Wrestling Hall of Fame Dan Gable Museum in downtown Waterloo.
Fire crews were called to the museum, located at 303 Jefferson Street, just after 11:00 a.m. Tuesday.
Authorities on the scene say a sprinkler pipe burst in the wall due to the cold.
"The sprinkler pipe in the wall, the backside over there froze, and when it freezes it expands," said Lt. Doug Dahlhauser with the Waterloo Fire Department. "(It) cracked the pipe, and then they probably had 500 gallons a minute of water shooting out of the wall."
Water covered the floor and some furniture.
There's no information yet on any damage to memorabilia in the building.
A firefighter at the museum said the burst pipe was leaking water for at least five minutes before crews arrived.