10 Rules for Weight Loss
1. Eat right, don't diet. Choose foods that allow you to fill up on fewer calories with higher fiber and lower fat and sugar.
2. Make exercise fun. Try to be active for an hour per day, five to six days per week.
3. Don't eat out of boredom. Food shouldn't be used to relax or suppress your feelings.
4. Eat out wisely. Choose soups and salad or smaller dishes that are lower in fat. Ask for sauces and dressings on the side. In the entrée is large, take half home.
5. Shop smart. Fill your grocery cart 2/3 full with fat free dairy, fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean meats that are minimally processed.
6. Snack right. Snack between meals when you're hungry to avoid overeating later. Try to include at least to food groups in every snack.
7. Be adventurous. Try new foods and expand your range of healthier options so you reduce boredom and frustration.
8. Use less fat. Fat contains the most calories per gram (9, compared to 4 calories per gram in carbs and protein), so prepare foods using lower fat methods and trim any visible fat.
9. Limit refined carbohydrates. Grains with added sugar and little fiber cause your blood sugar to spike quicker and don't leave you feeling satisfied.
10. Don't skip breakfast. Eat with one hour of waking, aiming for a high fiber, high protein breakfast.