Independence man burns house trying to thaw pipes with torch - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Independence man burns house trying to thaw pipes with torch

Posted: Updated:
INDEPENDENCE (KWWL) -

A person trying to thaw pipes in the cold weather ended up starting a fire in Independence, causing major damage to a home Thursday night.

Fire crews were called to 500 Third Ave. SE around 10:30 p.m. Thursday.

Independence Fire Chief Doug Cook says the owner of the home used a propane torch to thaw water pipes in a part of the residence going under remodeling. 

Chief Cook says the home was a duplex, and the side being remodeled is totaled.

No one was hurt.
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KWWL. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Sandy Youngblut at 319-291-1259. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.