2 escape early morning Cedar Rapids house fire - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

2 escape early morning Cedar Rapids house fire

CEDAR RAPIDS (KWWL) - Two people safely escaped an early morning house fire in Cedar Rapids.

Firefighters were called to 1426 Hillside Drive NW at around 2:10 a.m. Wednesday for a report of smoke and fire coming from around a fireplace.

Battalion Chief Brian Gibson says crews arrived to find fire coming from the roof, near the chimney, and smoke inside the house.

Gibson says firefighters found that the fire had spread into the walls, ceiling, attic and basement.

Gibson says a faulty fireplace box allowed the fire to move from inside the fireplace to the structure of the home.

The residents, James Colwell and Megan Vandenbos, were able to get out safely along with their dog. Gibson says the home is owned by Aaron Fitzgerald.

Gibson says no one was injured and the smoke alarms inside the home were working.

Colwell and Vandenbos were assisted by the American Red Cross.
Powered by Frankly