UPDATE: Perquondis Holmes arrested for killing Waterloo man - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

UPDATE: Perquondis Holmes arrested for killing Waterloo man

Perquondis Holmes Perquondis Holmes
Dae'Quan Campbell Dae'Quan Campbell
WATERLOO (KWWL) - UPDATE: A Waterloo man is charged with murder in the shooting death of 18-year-old Dae'Quan Campbell. Campbell was shot to death behind a Waterloo apartment building on November 14.

Now, just over a month later, Perquondis Holmes, 23, is behind bars. He has been charged with First Degree Murder, Possession of a Firearm as a Felon, and Unlawful Flight to Avoid Prosecution. Holmes was arrested early Wednesday morning in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Investigator Brice Lippert with Waterloo Police said a tip made through Cedar Valley Crimestoppers led to the arrest.

"It's nice in a case like this, where you can show people in the community that [Crimestoppers] is working, and that others in the community are taking responsibility," Lippert said. "They're starting to own the community. They've said, 'Enough is enough, we're going to start to help out.'"

Lippert said Crimestoppers tips have led to more than 100 arrests in the area, and that the program is gaining momentum.

An official at the U.S Marshals Service said Holmes was arrested at an in-home daycare in Lincoln, but that no children were present at the time. Holmes is being held in Nebraska on $2 million bond.


PREVIOUS STORY: A Waterloo man wanted for questioning in the shooting death of another Waterloo man has now been charged with murder.

Perquondis Lequay Holmes, 23, of Waterloo, was charged Wednesday with murder in the first degree in the death of Dae'Quan Campbell, 18, of Waterloo, according to Capt. Tim Pillack with the Waterloo Police Department. He was also charged with unlawful flight to avoid prosecution for fleeing to Lincoln, Neb.

Campbell was shot in the chest and hip on Nov. 14 in the 1200 block of Langley Road in Waterloo. He was taken to Covenant Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.

A Black Hawk County judge issued a warrant for Holmes' arrest on Dec. 6 for possession of a firearm as a felon, with bond set at $100,000.

Holmes was arrested Wednesday by members of the U.S. Marshals Metro Fugitive Task Force in Lincoln, Neb., where Holmes had been staying.

Waterloo Police then sent two investigators to Lincoln to follow up on the arrest, adding the murder and unlawful flight charges Wednesday.

A tip that came through the Cedar Valley Crime Stoppers helped police make the arrest, Pillack said.



Waterloo police say they've found and arrested a Waterloo man wanted in connection to the November shooting death of Dae'Quan Campbell.

Wednesday morning police arrested 23-year-old Perquondis Holmes in Lincoln, Neb., on a charge of possession of a firearm as a felon.

The U.S. Marshal's office says Holmes was living with people who operated an in-home daycare in Lincoln. Authorities believe the people Holmes was living with had no idea they were living with a fugitive. 

Witnesses tell police Perquondis Holmes fired shots in the area of the 1200 block of Langley Road in Waterloo on Nov. 14, the same day Dae'Quan Campbell was found with fatal gunshot wounds.

Officers say shell casings found at the scene corroborate those reports.

Police issued an arrest warrant for Holmes because he was convicted of intimidation with a weapon in 2007, and is barred from possessing firearms. 

Police arrested Holmes in the 6900 block of North Steamboat Road in Lincoln. Authorities say there were no children in the home daycare when police took him into custody early Wednesday morning.

At this time Holmes is not charged with Dae'Quan Campbell's death.

Capt. Tim Pillack says Waterloo police officers are headed to Nebraska to speak with Holmes. He will be held in Lancaster County until he is brought back to Waterloo.

KWWL Internet Director Amie Steffeneicher contributed to this report.
Powered by Frankly