One year later: Dubuque family still seeking justice - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

One year later: Dubuque family still seeking justice for the death of a two-year-old


A Dubuque family continues to seek justice as the one-year anniversary of the death of a two-year-old boy approaches. Bentley Randall died on November 25, 2012 from head trauma and burns.  According to police, the mother of two-year-old Bentley Randall, Kylee Vandermuelen, 20, of Dubuque, dropped her son off with Nicholas Reed, her boyfriend, before work on Friday, November 23, 2012 . When she returned, she says she found her son severely injured. He later died from his injuries. Reed was accused of killing the 2 year-old.

In September, prosecutors dropped the first degree murder-charge against him. Reed still faces charges of child neglect and drug charges related to the case.

But nearly a year after Bentley Randall's death, family members say they are still looking for answers.

Jamie Ingles is Bentley Randall's Great Aunt. She says it feel like just yesterday she got the call that Randall had been hurt.

"We got the phone call that night around 10 p.m. That he was at Finley hospital and that he had been burned," Ingles said Saturday afternoon. "We knew nothing of the head trauma yet. We just knew about the burns and we found out he was being airlifted to Iowa City and almost the whole family went to Iowa City and slept in that waiting room praying," Ingles paused and said, "but we lost him."

Ingles says it's the memories that help her and her family in moving forward. She says her favorite memory of Randall is one time when he played ball with her twin children, Kenny and Blaze.

"He (Randall) would say 'Kennyblaze come on, Kennyblaze come on, play, come on.' Ingles said laughing. "We would all just crack up laughing because he would say there name like they were just one person."

But Ingles said it is still tough to think about what happened to Randall. She says the family is still grieving and still searching for justice.

"All we know for a fact is that Bentley is dead by someone's hands. They said they had that someone in jail," Ingles said. "Eight months later they release him saying there is reasonable doubt."

Ingles say her family will never stop working to seek justice for Bentley.

"He didn't deserve to die. He is a baby. . . An innocent little child." Ingles said.

A balloon release is scheduled to take place in Washington Park Monday in Dubuque in honor of Bentley Randall. That balloon release is scheduled to start at 5 p.m.

KWWL reached out to Nicholas Reed's attorney for comment on this story. We've not heard back from him.

Powered by Frankly