The Postville Fire Department responded to a reported fire around 2:40 Saturday morning at Agri-Star Meat & Poultry plant.
Fire departments from Castalia, Luana, Frankville, Monona and Decorah also responded.
Postville Fire Chief Jeffrey Bohr said the fire was in the laundry room.
The fire was under control around 4:30 Saturday morning. Chief Bohr said the fire was difficult to put out because of the large size of the facility.
At this time, the fire is ruled accidental due to a dryer left running unattended. Video footage shows the fire actually began around 10 p.m. Friday. But didn't get reported until early Saturday morning.
Security notified the maintenance superintendent at the plant of issues in the lower portion of the facility around 2:25 a.m. When the superintendent arrived at the plant, he noticed the fire and called 911.
No one was inside the plant when the fire broke out.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Sandy Youngblut at 319-291-1259. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at firstname.lastname@example.org.