Kennedy HS evacuated for alarm; cause was electrical motor - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Kennedy HS evacuated for alarm; cause was electrical motor

Posted: Updated:
CEDAR RAPIDS (KWWL) - A Cedar Rapids high school was briefly evacuated Friday morning for what turned out to be an overheated electrical fan motor.

Approximately 1,800 Kennedy High School students and faculty safely evacuated the school when fire alarms activated at around 8:11 a.m., according to Greg Buelow with the Cedar Rapids Fire Department.

Firefighters located a light haze of smoke in the mezzanine above the band room where an overheated electrical motor was located.

Alliant Energy officials who also responded to the scene believe the cause of the incident was related to electrical power being partially interrupted to the school.

The fire alarm system and power were fully restored and students and faculty returned to the school after around 15 minutes.

No injuries were reported in the incident.
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KWWL. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Sandy Youngblut at 319-291-1259. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.