UPDATE: Man arrested with handgun, police believe unrelated to h - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

UPDATE: Man arrested with handgun, police believe unrelated to homicide investigation

Posted: Updated:

UPDATE: Waterloo Police have added that 18-year-old Marquis Norris is not being considered a suspect in the shooting death of 18-year-old Daequan Campbell Thursday night. The investigation is ongoing, according to authorities.

Waterloo Police now say that they have arrested one person after searching a vehicle in the 700 block of Logan Ave. Friday afternoon.

Several people ran from the car on foot when it was stopped for a routine traffic violation around 2 p.m., according to police. They caught 18-year-old Marquis Norris with a handgun.

Norris was taken to the Black Hawk County Jail, and has been charged with Carrying Weapons and Interference With Official Acts.

Police previously told KWWL that the search of a car at 700 Logan was related to the ongoing homicide investigation in the shooting death of 18-year-old Daequan Campbell Thursday night.


Waterloo Police have confirmed that they believe the shooting death of a Waterloo man Thursday evening and the shooting of his great-aunt's house early Friday morning are indeed connected.

Capt. Tim Pillack with the Waterloo Police Department told KWWL Friday afternoon they believe the death of Daequan Campbell and the shooting of Ida Mae Roby's home are related and are investigating them as such.

Police also say they believe Campbell and his killer likely knew each other and that there is no danger to the public.

Campbell's death marks the fourth homicide in Waterloo this year, the highest the city has seen in five years.


KWWL has learned that a shooting victim is related to the homeowner of the house that was shot up later that night, possibly providing a link between the two shootings.

KWWL's Shelley Russell spoke to the great-aunt of Daequan Campbell, 18. Campbell died after being shot Thursday evening.

Ida Mae Roby, as well as being Campbell's great-aunt, is also the homeowner of a house that was shot at just after midnight Friday.

Roby told KWWL she ushered her younger grandchildren, one as young as 5 years old, into the basement when people began pounding on her door. They then began shooting at the house, according to Roby.

If Campbell's death is confirmed as a homicide, it would be the fourth homicide in Waterloo this year, according to Waterloo Police Capt. Tim Pillack -- the highest the city has had in five years.

Waterloo recorded two homicides last year, three in 2011, three in 2010 and two in 2009.


One person is dead after a shooting in Waterloo Thursday night.

According to Waterloo Police, Daequan Oshae Campbell, 18, of Waterloo, died from gunshot wounds after he was shot in the chest and hip.

The shooting happened in the 1200 block of Langley Road in Waterloo.

Police responded to a report of shots fired and a man on the ground by the garages near 1211 Langley Road, where they found Campbell.

Waterloo Fire and Rescue transported Campbell to Covenant Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

No arrests have yet been made, and Waterloo Police said Friday morning they can't release any information regarding suspects yet.

It's unclear at this point what the motive might be in this case.

The shooting is still under investigation. Anyone with information is asked to call the Waterloo Police Investigation Division at 319-291-4340, extension 5003.

KWWL reporter Michael Crowe also contributed to this report.

Powered by Frankly