Thursday, November 7 2013 12:22 PM EST2013-11-07 17:22:26 GMT
The Iowa State Fire Marshall's office said yesterday's fire in Clarksville will likely be considered accidental.More >>
The Iowa State Fire Marshal's office said yesterday's fire in Clarksville will likely be considered accidental.More >>
CLARKSVILLE (KWWL) -
Clarksville Casey's manager Jolynn Sinram says when she got the phone call from the alarm company, she wasn't expecting smoke to be coming from her store.
"Then, when I pulled up to the register, I looked in and I'm like, 'Oh my God, that's smoke coming from the ceiling," said Sinram.
"We showed up, had pretty good smoke and it was going pretty good when we got here and it extended into the attic," said Jon Myers, the Clarksville Fire Chief.
The building is a total loss, but the city is working with Casey's corporate to bring it back.
Officials say they want to keep the store in the community not only for the convenience, but to keep the 18 jobs it provides.
"It employs a number of people in town part-time-wise, so yeah it's going to be devastating," said Clarksville Mayor David Kelm.
City officials say one significant loss was that Casey's is the only store that sells diesel fuel.
Officials say the school buses and the city's fire trucks will have to travel seven miles to Allison to fill up. In fact, fire crews were nervous they were going to run out of fuel while fighting this fire.
"Emergency management coordinator made a couple of calls and had a farmer's co-op and I don't know exactly who he called, but there was a truck that brought diesel," said Dan Cummings, the Clarksville Police Chief.
As for Sinram, she was just glad no one was in the store at the time.
"We're very fortunate," she said. "I'm very happy our doughnut person hadn't made it in that morning."
Thursday, July 31 2014 2:15 PM EDT2014-07-31 18:15:35 GMT
The president of Sierra Leone has declared a public health emergency as the Ebola crisis deepens across West Africa.More >>
Security forces went house-to-house looking for Ebola patients and others exposed to the disease Thursday in Sierra Leone's capital as the death toll from the worst recorded outbreak in history surpassed 700 in West...More >>
Wednesday, July 30 2014 3:37 PM EDT2014-07-30 19:37:39 GMT
The acting U.S. surgeon general is asking Americans to give up their love of sunbathing and indoor tanning beds, citing an alarming 200 percent jump in the number of deadly melanoma cases diagnosed since 1973.More >>
Stop sunbathing and using indoor tanning beds, the acting U.S. surgeon general warned in a report released Tuesday that cites an alarming 200 percent jump in deadly melanoma cases since 1973.More >>
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Sandy Youngblut at 319-291-1259. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at firstname.lastname@example.org.