Cedar Rapids man who was nearly electrocuted, ready to meet resc - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Cedar Rapids man who was nearly electrocuted, ready to meet rescuers

Posted: Updated:
CEDAR RAPIDS (KWWL) - A Cedar Rapids man who was nearly electrocuted in August is ready to meet the people that saved him.

Paul Phillips, 23, a City of Cedar Rapids employee, was checking sewers with an aluminum pole off of 6th Street SW, near Prairie Creek, when the pole hit an overhead power line. Between 7,200 and 12,000 volts went through Phillips' body.

Greg Buelow, Special Projects Coordinator for the Cedar Rapids Fire Department, says Phillips was unresponsive, had no pulse and was not breathing when crews arrived. Crews were able to revive Phillips before he was taken to University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City.

"Phillips is alive today because of his resilience and the teamwork of rescuers who provided out-of-hospital emergency care at the scene," said Buelow in a written statement.

Phillips will be reunited with his co-workers and emergency responders on Monday, October 28.
Powered by Frankly