Iowa high school close but needs your help to win natl contest - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Iowa high school close but needs your help to win national contest

Posted: Updated:
EPWORTH (KWWL) -

Western Dubuque High School is neck and neck with a Connecticut high school to win not only $100,000 but also a private concert for its students from pop star Kelly Clarkson.

WDHS in Epworth is competing in State Farm Insurance's national Celebrate My Drive competition, which encourages safe driving for teens.

Principal Dave Hoeger said the school would use 90 percent of the money to help furnish its new auditorium, which is currently under construction. The other 10 percent, according to contest rules, has to go toward developing a safe driving program or campaign in the school.

"Across the state we got a great following, and they just really support our students in this community and that's just fantastic," Hoeger said Wednesday. "This whole thing just keeps growing everyday. The first day we had, like, 6,800 votes and yesterday we had over 19,000 votes."

To vote for WDHS or any of the other Iowa high schools competing, including Beckman Catholic High School in Dyersville, visit the contest's website HERE.

Hoeger said the contest is divided up into two divisions: large (750+ students) and small high schools. The top five schools in each division win $100,000 and schools that rank 6 through 50 get $25,000. The top ranking school in each division gets a private concert for students from Kelly Clarkson.

Voting started Friday and runs through Saturday night.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KWWL. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Sandy Youngblut at 319-291-1259. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.