Allamakee County fire blamed on self-combustion of hay
ALLAMAKEE COUNTY (KWWL) -
A fire in Allamakee County that destroyed a storage building is being blamed on the self-combustion of hay.
The Postville Fire Department was called to 434 Sunset Drive Wednesday morning for a report of a storage shed on fire.
Fire chief Jeffery Bohr says when crews arrived the shed was engulfed in flames, so crews began working to save an adjacent cattle building.
Bohr says about 90 bales of hay valued at an estimated $35,000 were lost in the fire.
The Frankville and Luana Fire Department's assisted in putting out the fire. The Postville Fire Department remained on scene for about seven hours to monitor hot spots and help a construction company remove and bury the remnants of the hay bales.
Bohr says the hay self-combusted in the shed causing the fire.