Former Cedar Rapids A&W restaurant set to be demolished - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Former Cedar Rapids A&W restaurant set to be demolished

Posted: Updated:
CEDAR RAPIDS (KWWL) -

The City of Cedar Rapids announced on Friday that the former A&W restaurant on Ellis Boulevard, along with 12 homes that were also damaged in the flood of 2008, are set to be demolished.

The city says a contract worth $131,178 was awarded to D.W. Zinser for the demolitions which are scheduled to take place between September 9 and September 30. Exact timing of the demolitions will be determined based on weather and availability of equipment.

So far, 1,123 residential buildings, 572 accessory structures and 122 commercial buildings damaged in the flood have been demolished.

The city says the A&W Family Restaurant sign will be donated to the Carl and Mary Koehler History Center.

The city says there are eight residential structures left to be scheduled for demolition and 46 more parcels that still need to be acquired by the city.

As for commercial properties, two still need to be scheduled and another 21 are still somewhere else in the approval process.

Visit www.CRProgress.com for more information on the demolition process.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KWWL. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Sandy Youngblut at 319-291-1259. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.