Wyoming residents stocking up on bottled water after fire leads - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Wyoming residents stocking up on bottled water after fire leads to boil advisory


When it comes to bottled water, people in Wyoming are stocking up.

"It's affecting a lot of people right now," said Dinah Kasner. "It's like boil the water before you cook. Boil the water before you drink. Boil the water before you do your dishes."

Drinking water is getting hard to find at the town's supermarket. The owner was handing it out for free to firefighters Sunday as they battled the fire that destroyed what used to be Ted's Swinging Door Bar and Grill. The restaurant had been around for years and used to belong to Phyllis Brown's parents.

"It kind of brought tears because it was kind of home," said Brown.

Brown and her husband were among the many people stopping by city hall to pick up free bottled water. Fire crews used all the city's water to try to stop the damage. City officials say it's possible that caused bacteria to get into the water supply.

"It depleted my system so fast," said Jake Gravel, Water Superintendent. "I knew it couldn't keep up."

Until they can have the water tested, the city is under a boil advisory.

"It's difficult to do anything," said Clarence Brown. "You can take showers and stuff like that there but the drinking part---we need it."

The boil advisory is expected to end later this week.

Powered by Frankly