SATURDAY UPDATE: Johnson County Flooding - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

SATURDAY UPDATE: Johnson County Flooding


Johnson County Emergency Management officials have issued mandatory evacuations for part of the county due to flooding.  Those areas include for Sand Road SE between 560th St. and Highway 22.  Lola Lane SE and 2 properties on Tri County Bridge Rd. in far southern Johnson County are also affected.  Officials say more evacuations may be issued Sunday morning.  A complete list of road closures can be found here.

Volunteers have been requested to fill sandbags until 8 p.m. Saturday and from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sunday for the city of Iowa City.  Volunteers are asked to report to the United Way Emergency Volunteer Center at the Johnson County Fairgrounds or to call 319-337-8657.

The Corps of Engineers says the conduit at Coralville Reservoir will be fully opened Saturday, resulting in outflows of 18,000 cfs.  That level will grow to 20,000 cfs as increased inflows to the reservoir continue.  Downstream levels will be higher with the addition of water from creeks and streams.  Projections indicate that water will reach the reservoir capacity Thursday, June 6, reaching a peak of 712.8 ft and an outflow of 21,000 cfs on June 8 or 9.  


County officials estimate 50-60 structures countywide are vulnerable, with half in unincorporated areas of the county.  Preliminary damage estimates stand at $4-5 million for unincorporated areas.  Assessments for urban areas are ongoing.  

The Corps of Engineers reports they are monitoring the condition of the dam and are confident in its structural integrity.

Iowa City has not ordered any mandatory evacuations but expects to close Rocky Shore Dr. Monday.  Coralville has completed preparation efforts and no longer needs volunteers for sandbagging efforts.

The Iowa National Guard and Civil Air Patrol are helping monitor the conditions on the ground and in the air.

Iowa City residents who want sandbags should call the disaster call center at 319-337-8657.  Those in other communities should call their city hall.  Residents of unincorporated areas should call 319-356-6715 for updated information.

Powered by Frankly