$302,177 stolen from Clarke University - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

$302,177 stolen from Clarke University


More than $300,000 has been stolen from Clarke University in Dubuque.

The University reported a $302,177 theft to the Dubuque Police Department this week. The university's executive director of marketing and communications Ken Brown said the money was stolen from the bookstore. He said school officials noticed the loss when they saw the bookstore was losing more money than it was making.

"Looking for nothing in particular, just reviewing people we do business with and came across some irregularities with some of our vendors and noted those things and brought it to the attention of officials here," Brown said.

Nicholas Tate is a sophomore at Clarke University. He along with many students were shocked to learn money was stolen from the universities bookstore.

"It's kind of shocking to think that someone would take that much money." Tate said.

Capt. Scott Engleman of the Dubuque police department said initial findings show the money was stolen sometime between August 2011 and July 2012. The report indicates this happened through the unlawful use of seven checks.

Engleman said the suspect is a former Clarke University employee who was terminated for reasons not related to this theft during the summer of 2012. He said the police department has an idea of what the stolen money was used for, but declined to provide more information, saying it could jeopardize the ongoing investigation.

Mirek Baran is a senior at Clarke University. He was upset to learn the Dubuque Police Department suspected the money was taken by a former university employee.

"It's unfortunate that someone would make a decision like that and let down an institution like this, a non-profit organization. It's somewhat shocking to me with the core values that these people promote and the things they try to propagate here. It's surprising and disappointing." Baran said.

Brown said the investigation may not be a speedy one.

"Police told us it could take awhile, could take months," Brown said. "It's entirely in their hands now, and we'll cooperate with them, but other than that, we've done what we have to do and it's the police business now."

Powered by Frankly