Waterloo officer will not be charged in Ambrose shooting death - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Waterloo officer will not be charged in Ambrose shooting death

Derrick Ambrose, Jr. Derrick Ambrose, Jr.

A Waterloo police officer will not be charged in the shooting death of Derrick Ambrose, Jr., 22, of Waterloo.

On Thursday, Black Hawk County Attorney Tom Ferguson released the findings of a grand jury investigation and a probe done by the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation.

The grand jury met for five days over a two-week period.

The DCI investigation lasted from Nov. 18 through March of 2013. They interviewed nearly 70 witnesses along with fingerprint and ballistics experts.

Investigators determined that Officer Kyle Law shot and killed Ambrose after a fight outside the New World Lounge in Waterloo on Nov. 18 that led to a foot chase.

The report says Law saw Ambrose pointing a gun at people outside the New World Lounge after Ambrose and others had been kicked out of the bar during a fight inside.

Law said that when he got out of his car and approached Ambrose, Ambrose ran west on Riehl Street to get away from Law.

During the chase that spanned about 373 feet, Ambrose lost his footing and fell to the ground near 533 Riehl Street.

Law says that Ambrose ignored orders to stay on the ground and instead made a move to get off the ground.

Law said that was the point where he felt his life was in danger because he believed Ambrose still had the gun in his possession.

The gun was later found about 29 feet away on the other side of a six-foot security fence.

The report says Law fired two shots at Ambrose, killing him. One bullet hit Ambrose in the right leg, the other hit him in the back of the head.

The report also states that Ambrose legally bought the gun he had in his possession and had a permit to carry.

But they say the permit to carry was invalid at the time because Ambrose had marijuana in his system and had a .065 blood alcohol level.

The grand jury returned a "No Bill", meaning they refuse to find an indictment.

"It's been a process, but we're glad that the grand jury came back with the same determination that we made -- that Officer Law was justified in his actions," said Waterloo Police Captain Tim Pillack.

While the Waterloo Police Department has stood by Law's actions, family members and friends of Ambrose disagree.

"Rest assured, God is my witness that the tragic miscarriage of this justice will not stand, and Officer Kyle Law and the Waterloo Police Department will have to pay for the murder of my son, Derek Ambrose, and that is truly how me and the rest of my family and friends feel about the total situation," said Toyia Ambrose, mother of Derrick Ambrose.

Ambrose's family and friends plan on taking his story to the national news media because many of them believe the police officers in Waterloo have issues with racism, and that Ambrose was murdered.

Powered by Frankly