Stray spark from welding torch ignites basement fire in Waterloo - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Stray spark from welding torch ignites basement fire in Waterloo

Posted:
WATERLOO (KWWL) -

A spark from a welding torch started a basement fire in Waterloo Friday night. Fire crews were called to the 500 block of Cutler Street around 10 p.m.

Firefighters said the homeowner was welding in his basement when a stray spark lit cardboard on fire. The homeowner attempted to put the fire out, but it quickly spread to other combustibles. The basement filled with black smoke.

Firefighters said there's fire damage to the basement and smoke damage throughout the house.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KWWL. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Sandy Youngblut at 319-291-1259. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.