UPDATE: Iowa City fire blamed on discarded smoking materials - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

UPDATE: Iowa City house fire blamed on discarded smoking materials


The Iowa City Fire Department says a house fire on March 11 was caused by improperly discarded smoking materials.

Crews were called to 1811 H Street at around 11:30 p.m. for a report of a house fire.

Damage to the home is estimated at $150,000, but the family did escape.  One resident was injured. 

Fire Marshal John Grier says smoking materials were improperly discarded into a trash can in a downstairs bedroom.  The fire then ignited materials nearby and spread quickly through the rest of the home.

Grier says a working smoke alarm did help give residents early notification of the fire.

Powered by Frankly