UPDATE: Iowa City fire blamed on discarded smoking materials - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

UPDATE: Iowa City house fire blamed on discarded smoking materials

Posted:
IOWA CITY (KWWL) -

The Iowa City Fire Department says a house fire on March 11 was caused by improperly discarded smoking materials.

Crews were called to 1811 H Street at around 11:30 p.m. for a report of a house fire.

Damage to the home is estimated at $150,000, but the family did escape.  One resident was injured. 

Fire Marshal John Grier says smoking materials were improperly discarded into a trash can in a downstairs bedroom.  The fire then ignited materials nearby and spread quickly through the rest of the home.

Grier says a working smoke alarm did help give residents early notification of the fire.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KWWL. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Sandy Youngblut at 319-291-1259. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.