Blues 'N Buffett face-off at chili competition - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Blues 'N Buffett face-off at chili competition


A large crowd warmed up from the cold by eating chili and helping a good cause. Sunday was the 13th Annual Blues 'N' Buffett Chili Challenge in Cedar Rapids.

The event is a fundraiser and friendly competition between the Linn County Blues Society and the Isle of Iowa Parrot Head Club, a Jimmy Buffett fan club.

The club with the best chili gets to donate 51% of the money raised to the charity of its choice. The loser gets the other 49 percent.

"It's a great way to spend a cold, winter day," said Keith Wright, Isle of Iowa Parrot Head Club. "Sitting back, eating chili, talking to your friends, having an adult beverage. Raising money for a charity. It couldn't get any better than that!

This year the blues society is raising money for the Community Free Health Clinic of Cedar Rapids. The Buffett fans are donating their money to the HD Youth Center of Cedar Rapids.

Sunday's fundraiser generated just less than $9,000 with the Blues Society winning best chili.

Powered by Frankly