As a winter veggie, sweet potatoes are chock-full of health benefits.
Vitamin C in sweet potatoes aides in wound healing, collagen formation and overall immune function.
Rich in dietary fiber, sweet potatoes help regulate gastrointestinal health and can help you maintain or lose weight.
The vitamin A in sweet potatoes protects your retinas so you can see in low light and in color.
Sweet potatoes are fat-free, low in sodium and rich in potassium, making them strong supporters of a healthy heart.
Per serving, sweet potatoes are low in calories to whittle your waist line.
· Mash and top with brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
· Layer sweet potato slices with apple slices. Top with brown sugar and butter and bake in a covered casserole dish at 375⁰ F for about 30 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
· Puree cooked sweet potatoes with bananas, maple syrup and cinnamon and top with walnuts.
· Steam cubed sweet potatoes with tofu and broccoli.
· Roast with canola oil and herbs at 375 F for 25 to 30 minutes.
· Munch on sweet potato chips - thinly slice a large sweet potato, brush with olive oil and bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp.
· Substitute sweet potatoes for half of white potatoes in your potato salad.
· Sweet potato fries - slice and bake at 400 for 40 to 60 minutes. Sprinkle with cayenne and salt.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2013 WorldNow and KWWL. All Rights Reserved.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Sandy Youngblut at 319-291-1259. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at email@example.com.