KWWL, a legacy station with a long history of news leadership in Iowa in the 90th-largest market, is seeking an experienced journalist who understands the importance of strategic thinking. We need someone with great news instincts and judgment who is very organized, detail-oriented, and passionate about winning.
The Assignment Manager manages the day-to-day news gathering operations for the television station. You will be responsible for:
• Answering phones and emails directed to the newsroom
• Tuning in microwave and satellite live shots
• Posting content to our Twitter and Facebook feeds
• Monitoring police radios for breaking news and coordinating our reporters and photographers in Cedar Rapids, Dubuque, Iowa City and Waterloo.
• Logistical planning, including determining the most efficient way to get to the stories that need to be covered
• Building and maintaining electronic and hard-copy files of upcoming events
• Operating various newsroom technical systems, including satellite and microwave receivers, video editing systems, and TV graphics
• Participating in newsroom planning meetings and generating story ideas in a highly-competitive market
• On-call for breaking news, especially weekends and holidays
• Monitoring competing media for breaking news
• Monitoring story development with reporters in the field
• Writing stories for TV and the website
• Other duties as assigned
• College degree in journalism plus 2 years' experience at a local TV station or equivalent combination
• Strong knowledge of journalist ethics and best practices
• Good leadership/management skills
• Valid driver's license and clean driving record
• Professional appearance and demeanor
• Ability to communicate with station 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
TO APPLY: Send resume and cover letter detailing why you are the best candidate to:
Dan Schillinger, News Director
500 East Fourth Street
Waterloo, IA 50703
or via email to: email@example.com
We have great people and all the tools you need to succeed.
KWWL is owned by Quincy, a strong, family-owned company with television stations in six states, primarily in the Midwest. Quincy and KWWL are equal opportunity employers.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2013 WorldNow and KWWL. All Rights Reserved.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Sandy Youngblut at 319-291-1259. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at firstname.lastname@example.org.