Four Cedar Rapids teens escaped a town home fire Thursday night after grease caught fire on a stove.
Cedar Rapids firefighters were called to 2134 North Towne Court NE, apartment #4, at 10:44 p.m. Thursday.
When crews arrived, they could see smoke coming through the open front door. When they made their way inside, flames were coming from a pan on the stove.
Greg Buelow, Public Information Officer, says a teenager cooking with grease on the stove, left the kitchen for a short time and returned to find flames coming from the pan. Buelow says the teen unsuccessfully tried to put out the fire with a fire extinguisher.
Kay Ross, 19, and three other teens ranging in age from 14 to 16-years-old escaped the townhouse at that point.
Fire damage was contained to the stove and some nearby cabinets.
Buelow says the preferred way to extinguish a grease fire is to place a lid on the pan and turn off the stove.
Buelow says it appears the smoke alarms in the town home were not working because of missing batteries.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Sandy Youngblut at 319-291-1259. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at firstname.lastname@example.org.