Sister saved little brother from shed fire - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Sister saved little brother from shed fire

Posted:
OELWEIN (KWWL) -

It's a mom's worst nightmare.

"I was very scared how badly he was hurt," said Heidi Schoultz of Oelwein.

Schoultz was in the house cleaning while her son and friend were playing out back in their fenced in yard.

That's when a routine day turned to chaos in a matter of seconds.

"My daughter came running in and said that Jayce was on fire.  I went out there and grabbed him and put him in the car and took him to the emergency room," Schoultz said.

Officials say Schoultz' six-year-old son Jayce crawled his way through a small opening into the family's locked shed.

That shed housed Jayce's bike.

Schoultz believes Jayce found a lighter and accidentally sparked a blaze inside, burning the structure to the ground.

"I am very lucky and he is very lucky that he is going to make it through and recuperate," Schoultz said.

Lucky in that his nine-year-old sister Talexis was near and calm enough to revert back to something she learned in school.

"I told him to stop, drop, and roll, and then I threw water on him," Talexis said.

"She didn't freak out or anything until afterwards, and we were at the hospital. She did a very good job putting him out," Schoultz said.

That may have been lifesaving advice.

Jayce is recovering in the University of Iowa burn unit, 11 percent of his body burned badly.

The family, however, is hopeful for a recovery and thankful Talexis was able to stay calm in the midst of chaos.

"I feel fortunate that he's alive but it's going to be tough for him to deal with the scarring."

Jayce will undergo surgery on Friday.  He does walking exercises every couple of hours in an effort to get full range of motion back.

A neighbor has set up a fund in Jayce Cichy's name at Veridian Credit Union.  All Veridian Credit Union branches are accepting donations.

Powered by Frankly