Lighten Up Your Labor Day
Eat this: 2 deviled eggs made with cottage cheese, Miracle whip and extra whites = 140 calories
Not this: 2 traditional deviled eggs = 260 calories
Eat this: 1 bratwurst with a bun + herb potato salad = 538 calories
Not that: 2 bratwursts with buns + 1 cup potato salad = 1,100 calories
Eat this: ice cream with fruit = 260 calories
Not that: apple pie + ice cream = 530 calories
Total calorie saved = 960
Herb Potato Salad
Makes 6 servings
2 pounds potatoes, cubed with skin on
3 Tbsp white wine vinegar
½ cup plain low-fat yogurt
¼ cup reduced fat sour cream
1 Tbsp canola oil
½ cup finely chopped red onion
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
½ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1.Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water.
2. Bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
4. Drain and place in large bowl.
5. Sprinkle with vinegar.
6. Combine yogurt and sour cream in a medium size bowl, stirring with a whisk until smooth.
7. Add oil and stir.
8. Add remaining ingredients and stir until smooth.
9. Add yogurt mixture to potatoes and toss gently to coat.
10. Cover and chill for 1 to 24 hours.
Nutrition information per serving: 168 calories; 4 g fat; 1.2 g saturated fat; 6 mg cholesterol; 221 mg sodium; 30.1 g carbohydrate; 2.6 g fiber; 4.2 g protein
¼ cup low-fat mayonnaise
2 tsp mustard
1 dash salt
1 dash pepper
1 pinch paprika
1.Hard boil 15 eggs.
2. When eggs are cooked and cooled, cut eggs in half lengthwise.
3. Remove yolks from 6 eggs and discard.
4. Remove yolks from remaining eggs.
5. Combine yolks with mayonnaise, mustard, 6 egg whites, salt and pepper.
6. Mix until smooth.
7. Spoon mixture into remaining egg whites.
8. Garnish with paprika, if desired.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KWWL. All Rights Reserved.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Sandy Youngblut at 319-291-1259. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at firstname.lastname@example.org.