A University of Iowa counselor who helps low-income students prepare for college reported feeling ill after opening an envelope containing a suspicious white powder Monday.
The university said a student counselor with the Upward Bound program opened the envelope Monday at Stanley Hall. The student later called university police to report the substance after starting to feel ill. The scare caused authorities to seal off part of a dorm as a precaution.
University spokesman Tom Moore says the student was treated at UI Hospitals and Clinics and released.
The university says test results from the State Hygienic Laboratory showed no toxic substances in the powder. A sample has been sent to Ankeny for further verification.
47 students and staff with the Upward Bound program are being notified of the incident.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Sandy Youngblut at 319-291-1259. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at email@example.com.