UPDATE: Cedar Rapids apartment fire started on stove - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

UPDATE: Cedar Rapids apartment fire started on stove

Posted:
CEDAR RAPIDS (KWWL) -

An early morning fire in Cedar Rapids that damaged an apartment is being blamed on the stove being left on.

Crews were called to the Tradewinds Apartments at 5537 North Towne Place NE at around 5:55 a.m. Monday after a man saw smoke coming from an adjacent apartment.

When firefighters got into the apartment, they found flames along the ceiling of the kitchen.  Crews were able to put out the fire and contain fire damage to the kitchen.  The rest of the apartment suffered heat and smoke damage.

Greg Buelow, Public Information Officer for the Cedar Rapids Fire Department, says that 40-year-old Travis Cook, who was not home at the time of the fire, accidentally left a burner on.  Buelow says that caused some near by items to catch fire.

Cook came back while firefighters were still on scene, but was told he would not be able to return to his apartment.  He is being assisted by the Grant Wood Chapter of the American Red Cross.

There was minor smoke damage to three other apartments, but those people were able to return after their apartments were ventilated.

No injuries were reported.

Powered by Frankly