A Friday night house fire in Cedar Rapids that left a family homeless is being blamed on a damaged power strip.
The fire broke out just before 9:30 p.m. Friday at 1508 C Avenue NE. When they arrived, firefighters reported heavy smoke coming out of the eaves of the one-story house. Four residents were evacuated as firefighters battled the flames.
Fire officials say the property is owned by Steven Peterson of Cedar Rapids. Two adjacent houses were evacuated for approximately one hour while firefighters knocked down the fire.
The house sustained heavy fire, heat and smoke damage to the attic. The main level sustained significant smoke and water damage.
Investigators say the damaged power strip was in the attic of the house. The residents tried to put it out with a fire extinguisher, but were unsuccessful.
The residents, 33-year-old Summer Riley, and her two children, ages 14 and 15, escaped without injury. The Red Cross is assisting them.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Sandy Youngblut at 319-291-1259. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at firstname.lastname@example.org.