UPDATE: Manchester murder suspect to be tried as an adult - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

UPDATE: Manchester murder suspect to be tried as an adult

Isaiah Sweet Isaiah Sweet

Isaiah Sweet looked straight ahead, then bowed his head for a few seconds, as three sheriff's deputies escorted the Manchester teenager into the Clayton County Courthouse in Elkader Tuesday for his initial court appearance.

The 17-year old West Delaware High School drop out is accused of killing his Manchester grandparents and will be tried as an adult due, to the nature and seriousness of the charges.

Though the murders occurred in Delaware County, Sweet appeared before Judge Monica Ackley at the Clayton County Courthouse in Elkader. That's because Judge Ackley's Tuesday schedule had her in Elkader Tuesday instead of Manchester. He faces two counts of first degree murder and a charge of operating a motor vehicle without the owner's consent.

Sweet spent the night at the Buchanan County Jail and was transferred to Clayton County for the hearing. All of Sweet's subsequent appearances will take place in Delaware County.

Authorities in Cedar Rapids caught Sweet on Monday night walking on some railroad tracks near 51st NE and Center Point Road in Cedar Rapids.

Sweet is charged with two counts of first degree murder for allegedly killing his grandparents Richard (Rick), 55, and Janet Sweet, 62.  The bodies were discovered Sunday about 2:20 p.m.

Isaiah Sweet had been living with the couple. Police said they had responded to the address before for "requests for assistance." Sweet dropped out of school at West Delaware High School earlier this year.

Authorities said family members came to a Mother's Day gathering at the home on Sunday and discovered the bodies of the married couple.  They said Isaiah was gone, along with one of the couple's vehicles.

According to the criminal complaint, Isaiah made a phone call on Friday evening, telling another person he had drugged his grandparents and believed they were dead. Police said Isaiah called at least two other people on Saturday, to tell them he killed his grandparents and he was on the run.

Sweet was arrested for violating curfew and driving with a suspended license after setting off a business alarm around 2:30 a.m. Sunday in Iowa City. This was the same day his grandparents' bodies were discovered.  Sweet was taken into police custody for nearly six hours, before a parent living out of state gave permission for him to be released to an adult living in the Iowa City area.  The vehicle Sweet was driving, which was registered to his grandparents, was impounded. 

A warrant for Sweet's arrest was issued Monday, and Sweet now faces two counts of first degree murder in the deaths of his grandparents. Police believed he was in the Iowa City area and even offered a $1,000 CrimeStoppers' reward.

Monday, law enforcement officers received a tip that Sweet might be in the Cedar Rapids area. They converged on the region about 7 p.m. when officers saw a man walking on the railroad tracks. They were suspicious because the man was wearing a hooded sweatshirt on such a warm evening.

Sweet had no weapons in his possession when officers apprehended him. Officers took him to the Delaware County Jail in Manchester where he is being held in lieu of $1 million bond. Sweet will make an initial court appearance in Delaware County District Court as early as tomorrow morning. 

Powered by Frankly