Fire damages apartment above Bellevue ice cream shop - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Fire damages apartment above Bellevue ice cream shop

Posted: Updated:
Courtesy: Telegraph Herald Courtesy: Telegraph Herald
BELLEVUE (KWWL) -

A fire has temporarily closed a popular local restaurant at the start of its busy season.

The fire broke out around 9 p.m. Saturday night at the building that holds Grandpa's Parlour, a diner and ice cream shop on Bellevue's Riverview Drive.

Bellevue fire chief Kent Clasen said the blaze started with a cooking fire in the apartment above the diner. That apartment is a total loss.

"There was some cooking done on the stove, which ignited the surrounding paneling and walls and the two occupants in the apartment building tried to extinguish it with a fire extinguisher and then realized that they weren't going to get it, so they left," Clasen said.

The two people inside were unharmed.

The diner sustained minor smoke and water damage. Clasen said the building's overall structure is still sound.

Clasen said Grandpa's Parlour will likely be closed for two to four weeks.

Several fire departments from surrounding areas assisted the Bellevue Fire Department.

Powered by Frankly