Cooking fire causes evacuation of Cedar Rapids apartment... - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Cooking fire causes evacuation of Cedar Rapids apartment building

Posted:
CEDAR RAPIDS (KWWL) -

A cooking fire caused the evacuation of 20 people from a Cedar Rapids apartment building.

Firefighters were called to the Cedar Terrace Apartments at 1220 Auburn Drive SW at 8:09 p.m. Thursday for a reported kitchen fire.

Once on scene, crews found smoke in the hallway.  Once inside apartment S1, they found that a grease fire on the stove had been put out with a fire extinguisher.

Greg Buelow, Public Information Officer for the Cedar Rapids Fire Department, says oil being heated in a pan ignited and a neighbor, who heard yelling from the apartment, came over and put the fire out.

Buelow says damage was contained to the stove, the wall behind the stove and some cabinets near the stove.

Buelow adds that while there were smoke alarms in the apartment where the fire started, the batteries were missing.

Everyone was back in their apartments by 9:00 p.m.

The Fire Department says that while the owners of rental properties are required to install smoke alarms, it is the responsibility of tenants to ensure that the smoke alarms are maintained and working properly.

Buelow also wants to remind people that the preferred method of putting out a grease fire is to carefully slide a lid over the pan and turn off the stove.  Never use water on a grease fire.

For more fire safety information, visit www.cedar-rapids.org/fire.

Powered by Frankly