UPDATE: Cedar Rapids fire caused by smoking materials - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

UPDATE: Cedar Rapids fire caused by smoking materials

Posted:
CEDAR RAPIDS (KWWL) -

The Cedar Rapids Fire Department says that a fire which displaced a couple and their 10-month old daughter on Wednesday morning was likely caused by improperly discarded smoking materials.

Crews were called to the 5000 block of Wabash Street SW at about 1 a.m.

Clint Aldeman, 28, Morgan Hames, 27, and their 10-month old daughter were awoken by the sound of smoke alarms.  They were able to escape the burning home safely.

One of the family's dogs was rescued by firefighters shortly after they arrived.  A second dog was rescued a short time later.

Firefighters say the fire started on the wooden deck on the back of the home where smoking materials had been discarded.

The family is staying with relatives.

Powered by Frankly