Black Hawks rally for overtime win over Youngstown - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Black Hawks rally for overtime win over Youngstown


Ian McCoshen blasted in the game-winning goal 3:37 into overtime to push the Waterloo Black Hawks to a 6-5 win Friday on home ice against the Youngstown Phantoms.

Alex Barron created the opportunity, skating up right wing from center ice to behind the Phantom net. He came out at the opposite post, feeding a pass to Tyler Zepeda at the left point. Zepeda saucered a pass back across the slot to McCoshen, who buried a one-timer into the top corner. McCoshen was playing for the first time after missing three contests with an upper body injury. Although the Hawks controlled play and led for most of the opening period, Youngstown went to the first intermission with the lead. Mike Huntebrinker sent Vince Hinostroza flying up the slot, and his shot high to the glove side made the score 1-0, 2:54 into the game. However, a three-on-one breakout and a pass which clicked from J.T. Stenglein to Dylan Margonari allowed the Phantoms to pull even at 17:10. A little more than two minutes later, Youngstown went ahead on a score by Chris Bradley, inadvertently deflected in by the Hawks defense. Waterloo battled back to win a high-scoring second period, but before drawing into a tie, they fell further behind. Austin Cangelosi scored on a shorthanded breakaway to make the score 3-1 at 6:12. Tony Cameranesi drew Waterloo back within one at 9:07, firing a wrist shot over the left shoulder of Matthew O'Connor. However, momentum would see-saw back and forth again. Mike Ambrosia made the game 4-2 with a low shot to the stick side of Eamon McAdam at 16:34. Waterloo struck just over a minute later with Jamie Hill's pass from behind the goal creating a pointblank chance for Scott MacDonald between the hash marks. Then with just six seconds remaining, Waterloo won the first faceoff of a fresh power play; Taylor Cammarata pulled the draw back to Mark Naclerio. He took a couple strides toward the net before feeding the puck back to Cammarata for a tap in with 2.9 showing on the clock. It was the home team pulling ahead in the third at 6:57. Naclerio stuffed in a rebound from Huntebrinker's shot, giving Waterloo an edge for the first time since the late stages of the opening frame. Youngstown was able to earn a point by forcing overtime; their game-tying goal came from Ryan Belonger with 2:35 remaining in the contest. The Black Hawks and Dubuque Fighting Saints meet 7:05 pm Saturday in a key Cowbell Cup matchup. The Saints are five points ahead of the Black Hawks after a win in Cedar Rapids Friday.

Powered by Frankly