Garage fire forces family out of home in Cedar Rapids - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Garage fire forces family out of home in Cedar Rapids

Posted:
CEDAR RAPIDS (KWWL) -

A family is forced out of its home after a garage fire in Cedar Rapids.

It happened just before 9:00 p.m. Friday night at 1606 Sierra Drive Northeast.

Authorities say 35-year-old Chad Johnson was changing the fuel pump in his minivan when gasoline ignited a portable light in the garage.

When crews arrived they found flames coming out of the side door attached to the garage.  There were also flames coming out of the soffit and overhang area of the garage. 

Officials say crews had to remove parts of the wall and ceiling between the attached garage and the kitchen to extinguish the fire and ensure the fire did not spread.  

The fire caused significant damage to the garage and to the attic, and smoke damage to the home.

Johnson and his family did get out of the house safely.

Powered by Frankly