Dryer lint blamed for Grinnell apartment fire - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Dryer lint blamed for Grinnell apartment fire

Posted:
GRINNELL (KWWL) -

Lint build-up in a dryer vent is being blamed for a fire that has left eight people homeless in Grinnell.

Firefighters were called to 1702 6th Avenue at around 4:30 a.m. Tuesday morning for a fire report.

A man who lives in the building discovered the fire, called 9-1-1 and was able to help get everyone else out safely.  Firefighters rescued a pet cat and revived it using oxygen.

The fire was contained to the stairwells and some concealed walls, but firefighters say all five units in the building are unlivable because of heat and smoke damage.

Damage is estimated at $150,000.

No injuries were reported.

Powered by Frankly