UPDATE: Power strip blamed for Cedar Rapids house fire - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

UPDATE: Power strip blamed for Cedar Rapids house fire

Posted:
CEDAR RAPIDS (KWWL) -

A Tuesday morning house fire which left a Cedar Rapids couple displaced from their home is being blamed on an electrical failure.

Firefighters were called to 826 17th Street SE at 9:52 a.m. after a neighbor called 911 to report flames coming out of a basement window.

When crews arrived, smoke had already filled the first floor and was beginning to fill the second floor.  They also found fire in a recreational room in the basement. 

Firefighters say the fire had already begun to put itself out because it had consumed a majority of the oxygen.

The owners of the home, 54-year-old Thomas Patrick and 45-year-old Kathy Patrick weren't home at the time of the fire, but their cat was rescued by firefighters.

Firefighters say there was a significant amount of smoke damage throughout the house.

According to Greg Buelow, Public Information Officer for the Cedar Rapids Fire Department, the fire started when an electrical power strip under a couch in the basement failed. 

Powered by Frankly